By Dr. Shawna Darou, ND
An intention is simply holding in your mind what you want in life, under the premise that our thoughts shape our reality. What we focus on in our minds, is then reflected in our reality.
The challenge this year is to first take a look at your intentions for 2017, and look at ways to stay focused on this through the year. Have you thought about any intentions yet?
Here are some steps to set your intentions for 2017:
1) First, get clear about something you want and write it down.
This can be in the realm of health, personal life, finance, community or your impact on the planet.
2) Choose positive language when you are framing your intentions.
For example, “I will be more present with my family after work”, rather than “I want to stop checking my emails, and be less irritated in the evenings”. Or “I will consciously choose healthy foods that nourish my body”, rather than, “I will stop eating junk food after dinner”. This shifts your focus to the behaviour that you want.
3) Next, choose something concrete that you can commit to for 30 days that will bring you closer to your intention.
Right now, just choose one thing. For example: turning your phone off at 7pm; eliminating sugar from your diet; limiting alcohol to just the weekends; writing in your journal for 20 minutes per day; practicing yoga 2x per week; beginning a painting or drawing class to access your creativity; signing up for a dance class; taking a real vacation this year,….
4) And, stay accountable with your commitment.
What this means is two-fold:
- First, remember your intention regularly – when you wake up in the morning, or when you are going to bed hold a clear image of your intention as your new reality. Being able to clearly visualize what you want is extremely helpful in achieving it. Post reminders around your home, on your computer or on your phone to keep you focused.
- And second, write down your achievements over the next 30 days that are bringing you closer to your goal.
As further incentive, I would like to support you in your intentions over the next 30 days. If you would like a weekly email to encourage and motivate you to stay on track over the next 30 days, please send me an email including 1) the date you are starting your challenge; 2) your intention (briefly in a few words); and 3) your 30 day challenge for the month.
And finally, at the end of your 30 days – please send me an email with a brief paragraph describing what has changed in your life after 30 days based on your intention setting. In your email, indicate whether I can share this (anonymously) in a February newsletter.
I hope this year’s challenge will propel you to great personal changes and growth in 2017!