If you are planning to try to conceive soon, I would highly recommend taking some time to prepare. Preparation includes:
- Checking hormones, and troubleshooting any potential issues before you start trying.
- Optimizing nutrition – did you know that your nutrition in the 3 months pre-pregnancy is just as important to the health of your future baby as your nutrition during pregnancy?
- Detoxification – 3 months prior to conception, a comprehensive detoxification program is recommended for both partners to reduce the toxic load passed on to your children.
- Starting pre-conception supplements: folate especially, but other supportive supplements may be recommended, especially antioxidants such as coenzyme Q10 if you are over 35.
- Rebalancing intestinal flora, meaning restoring gut balance to reduce your child’s risk of allergies, immune issues and even to support their mood and behaviour.
- Possible acupuncture treatments for hormone balance, stress reduction and optimal pelvic blood flow.
The amount of time to prepare pre-conception is ideally 3 months. Please inquire if you have any questions about a pre-conception program.
This is the perfect time to explore your beliefs, perceptions and behaviours concerning family. If you have any family origin issues take this opportunity to address what has been left unresolved. It is important to remember that a new baby won’t solve your relationship issues, give your life meaning or erase insecurities. A supportive and honest psychotherapeutic relationship can help you stay present for the realities of your life now while you make plans for the future.