In building the Darou Wellness clinic, I have endeavored to create solutions to the issues that exist in our standard healthcare model. I believe that by being more accessible and available when you need us, having excellent communication between members of your healthcare team, and a patient-centred approach that we are helping to evolve the medical model. At this point, a true healthcare revolution is needed, and my hope is that this clinic is part of that change.
How we are different:
- You are treated as an individual, not as a disease or condition.
- Just because all of your bloodwork is normal, it doesn’t mean that you are well. We will dig deeper.
- We provide individualized care.
- You can expect less wait time – we can usually see you within the week, and we do our best to be available at times that are convenient for you – early mornings, lunch-hours, evenings and weekends.
- We can do thorough testing right away, rather than several trips to the lab for an accurate diagnosis. For example, with a suspected thyroid disorder we would order a full thyroid hormone profile, rather than just the TSH. In the case of acne, we would actually test your hormones before assuming it is hormonal acne (because often it isn’t!)
- We believe in collaborative care, with clear communication between your healthcare providers (with your consent, of course).
- Our appointments are long enough to allow you to ask all of your questions. We believe that if you are an informed patient, you are more likely to 1) make the positive changes for your health to improve and 2) get results, as an empowered patient has a much greater chance of recovery.
- We like you to ask questions, and tell us your thoughts and opinions about your conditions. After all, you are the best expert on your body.
- We aim to be easy to reach – our front desk staff will answer the phone during business hours, and we can also be reached by email.
- We want to care for your entire family, all in one location. By treating different members of your family, we can have a much greater understanding of how to best support your health and wellness.
A collaborative healthcare team who know each others’ skills and expertise can support you better. I have carefully selected the team of practitioners at Darou Wellness, in order to cover the areas where I would typically refer, and fill in the gaps in my training. A few examples of how this works:
- In a woman who is recovering postpartum, I would support her nutritionally, recommend optimal supplementation, deal with issues regarding milk supply or mastitis, for example. And I may need to refer to a psychotherapist for postpartum depression; to a pelvic health physiotherapist for episiotomy recovery; or to an osteopath for a colicky baby.
- In a patient with migraine headaches, I would begin by working through food intolerances, an optimal diet to reduce migraines, nutrients, supplements and hormonal triggers. But I would also likely refer also to an osteopath to look at the structural components in the neck, issues related to liver function and digestion, or to a massage therapist to reduce muscular tension and stress.
- In the case of a weight loss program, I would first examine any obstacles to weight loss, such as stress, lack of sleep, food intolerances, gut health, hormone imbalance, or medications and begin with treatment here. I would also refer to a nutritionist for further support in sticking to the program, with regular accountability, meal plans and more hands-on support; and to a psychotherapist to examine emotional connections with overeating.
Through working with us as a team, you will become part of an evolving health care model. One that empowers you to take an active role in your health care, with sufficient support to do so.